Sickening to read this article — so many ways to have avoided this catastrophe. The graphic is well done and informative. Thankfully, the NTSB has made some clear and much-needed recommendations. I don’t know if any of the recommendations have been implemented.
FIU bridge collapse | Lessons learnt three years since Florida tragedy
15 March 2021
Thinking out loud
I wonder if there will come a day when all structural designs in the USA are required to be peer‑reviewed, including petrochemical.
I might extend this question well beyond structural:
- Hardware and software (with security, medical, engineering, military, financial, etc implications)
- Site locations (proximity of dangers to schools, medical, residential, civic sites, etc)
- Enforcement of limitations to building, infrastructure, and city sites (flooding, earthquake, overcrowding, insufficient resources like water)
- Careful and timely oversight for drug prescriptions by all medical practitioners to minimize misuse (such as Fentanyl)
- Certification and inspection of formulation and ingredients in food, pharmacy, and ‘alternative medicine’